Stone & District Rotary Club
HISTORY OF STONE & DISTRICT ROTARY CLUB
Rotary International started in 1905 in America but the idea soon spread to the U.K. and by the mid 1930’s there were several Clubs around our local area. For example, Stafford’s first club was formed in 1924; Stoke-on-Trent’s in 1927; and Newcastle under Lyme’s in 1929. These clubs - together with several more - made up a Rotary “District” which was keen to form new clubs and thereby further the aims and objectives of the movement.
In 1938 it was decided to try and start a club in Stone. Representatives of many of the Rotary Clubs from throughout the Midlands attended an “interest” meeting held at the Crown Hotel in May 1938.
The meeting concluded with a proposal from Mr Ernest Shufflebotham (the Manager of the District Bank) and seconded by Mr Thomas Bagley, the Chairman of Stone Urban District Council that a Rotary Club should be formed in Stone.
Mr Shufflebotham was elected the Interim President and he together with the prospective members nurtured the new Club during the early months of its formation.
The Club received its Charter of Incorporation from Rotary International on 16th May, 1939 and a celebratory Dinner was held at the Crown Hotel on 5th July 1939 to mark its granting. Rotary in Stone was officially born.
IN THE NEWS
Stack of Newspapers
11th March 2013 - Visit by RIBI President John Minhinick
Philip Leason Mayor of Stafford 14-05-2022
Stone Rotary May 2019
Stone & District RC Mar 2016
Stone Rotary May 2018
Stone Rotary Jun 2015
Stone RC Mar 2016
Stone RC Jul 2018 Pasta di Piazza Italiana - Stone
Stone Rotary St Georges Day 2013 President John Beamond dressed the part
Stone RC Apr 2019