Stoke-on-Trent Rotary Club
HISTORY OF STOKE-ON-TRENT ROTARY CLUB
The Rotary Club of Stoke-On-Trent inaugural meeting was held on 31st January 1927. Our Charter from Rotary International was signed on 22nd February 1927.
The first President was Major Frank Wedgwood, a member of the famous pottery manufacturing family.
However, the person largely responsible for the inauguration of the Club was Albert E. Gray of Gray's Pottery, who became the first Vice-President.
One of AE Gray's chief interests between 1926 and 1946 was the rotary movement, and he is credited with the founding of the Rotary Club of Stoke-On-Trent. A surviving minute book records that on the 17th October 1928 he presided at a meeting of six local business and professional men.
Three more meetings were held during which more potential members were recruited and the Rotary club was inaugurated with sixteen founder members on the 31st January 1927.
IN THE NEWS
Stack of Newspapers
Stoke-on-Trent RC. The clubs new home, relocating after 94 years at the Quality Hotel Hanley
Stoke-on-Trent RC, Litter picker brigade at Trentham Fireworks Display
Stoke-on-Trent RC May 2018
Stoke-on-Trent RC New president Mike Herbert Jul 2016
Stoke-on-Trent RC, Club members undertaking Christmas collection at Sainsbury’s Stoke
Stoke-on-Trent RC Christmas Lunch at EGOS
Stoke-on-Trent RC The Team
Members of Rotary Club of Stoke on Trent plus a few partners Presidents Handover Jul 2017