HISTORY OF DUDLEY ROTARY CLUB
In late 1921 senior members of Birmingham Rotary Club approached some leading businessmen in Dudley with a view to forming a Rotary Club in Dudley. The efforts of these Rotarians were rewarded by the great interest shown by the Dudley businessmen. Many meetings were held by the nucleus of members of the proposed new Rotary Club prior to the actual formation of the club.
An inaugural Meeting was held at 264/8 Castle Street, Dudley on 22 May 1922 with Mr F.W. Cook in the chair with seven other members present: at that meeting a further 26 members were elected to the club. Draft rules of the club were considered and it was resolved that they be placed before the first official meeting of the club to be held at 1.00pm on Monday 12 June 1922 at The Dudley Arms Hotel. Furthermore, it was agreed that meetings of the club should be held fortnightly.
At the meeting on 12 June, Mr F.W. Cook was elected founder President of Dudley Rotary Club. The Secretary announced at that meeting that he had been in communication with The British Association of Rotary Clubs with reference to the Constitution and Bye-Laws of the Association.
The rules of the Club, agreed on the 12 June 1922, were rescinded, as they were in conflict with those of the Association.
And thus Dudley Rotary Club came into being.
IN THE NEWS
Stack of Newspapers
Dudley Rotary Tesco Christmas Collection Dec 2012
Dudley RC Burns Night
Dudley Rotary Christmas Lunch December 2012
Dudley Rotary Enville Brewery Visit June 2013